ArtAttack continuously follows current Creative Art Competitions within the Global Art Industry. Our most recent attraction is to The Annual National Creativity Competition in Africa for schools and young people under the age of 25, which is the renowned ‘MASK Prize‘, endorsed by Kenya Ministry Of Education.
The 2016 Mask Prize is an initiative of the Mobile Art School in Kenya that seeks to promote creativity and innovation among the young generation. This is another chance for young artists from Kenya, Africa and its diaspora to show the world what they’ve got. Currently in its 4th year, the MASK Art Prize has been able to award and mentor a myriad of Kenyan and African artists through its competitions and expose them to the global art world. Next year, The MASK Prize will collaborate with Turner Contemporary, which will be very exciting!
This year’s theme is “Young People-The Creative Nation”.
Artworks are submitted online in a variety of media and reflect innovative ideas. All entries were in one of the following forms:
- Paintings, Drawings, Collages, Sculpture, Installations and Prints.
- Graffiti Art.
- Digital/Computer Art.
- Photographs and Photojournalism.
- Singing, Dancing, Performing Arts and Playing Musical Instruments.
- Entrepreneurial/Business Ideas.
Part of why ArtAttack is introducing you to The MASK Prize is due to the 2016 Award Ceremony that takes place this week on the 23rd of June at the Michael Joseph Art Centre in Nairobi and some selected works will be exhibited in the UK at the Saatchi Gallery, University for the Creative Arts and Turner Contemporary.
For further information and interest in the juding panal, click these links: http://mobileartschoolinkenya.org/mask-prize/index.html http://mobileartschoolinkenya.org/mask-prize/how-to-enter/judges.html
ArtAttack are thrilled to show you the incredibly creative works of the 2016 Winners and Commended Artists.
2016 Mask Prize Winners –
1. Churchill Ongere, 23 years old, Untitled
2. Gitahi Kariouki, 21 years old, Embrace
3. Louis Nderi, 25 years old, Family Tree
4. Sidney Wanjiku, 23 years old, Women Power
5. Edwin Lyra, 19 years old, Chorwa
6. John Njeru, 21 years old, Abstract Love
7. Onesmus Omakar, 21 years old, Untitled
8. Edwin Wainanina, 19 years old, From The East Heavens
9. June Wambua, 22 years old, Black Leaf
10. Peteros Wasinde, 19 years old, Heart And Brain
11) Kennedy Kimani , 24 years old, Market and Beyond
12) Claire Njeri Kuria, 15 years old, Karen
2016 Mask Prize Commended –
1. Alan Madegwa, 19 years old, Thoughts
2. Lee Wanjiru, 19 years old, Untitled
3. Steve Wanjau, 22 years old, Untitled
4. Caitano Mbati, 21 years old, El Doret
5. Sam Mulwa, 19 years old, Mother Earth
6. Isaac Muraya, 23 years old, Nairobian Girl
7. Samson Lerosion, 20 years old, Leafy Samburu
8) Bilha Simwenyi, 23 years old, Kakamega
9) Selina Onyando, 19 years old, Chai
10) Victor Mutua, 21 years old, Strength of an Eagle
11) Alvin Njuguna, 17 years old, Beginning of April
12) Ron Lukes, 21 years old, Devine
13) Joseph Makau, 20 years old, Swampy
14) Kibet Kirui, 22 years old, Ride and Die
15) Viva Mugambi, 20 years old, Old love